VDI-Linux-AD-Windows Administrator (local title)
Lead Programmer / Analyst (budget title)
SUNY Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC)
Buffalo State College
The Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC) is one of several special purpose organizations established by participating institutions to support multi-campus, computer-related, group activities targeted at improving the quality, quantity, and cost-effectiveness of campus-based and University-wide computer services. In all, ITEC services over 50 campuses.
ITEC is soliciting applications for a VDI, Linux, Active Directory, and Windows Administrator. The following announcement describes the responsibilities and qualifications associated with this position.
This position is for a support analyst with a strong focus on design, operations, and support of Virtualized Infrastructure, Cloud Applications, and End User Computing.
Responsibilities include system administration of VMWare ESXi hypervisors, vSphere, and the vRealize suite of software tools, as well as Windows and Linux operating systems– both server and end user computing environments. This position will coordinate and handle technical support problems for internal teams and member campuses, monitor, and administer operating systems. Troubleshoot equipment performance and health of remote and internal campus systems. Participate in conversations regarding critical situations with ITEC’s senior management. Assist ITEC and member campuses with Windows operating system issues and with the planning and implementation of installations and upgrades. This position will be responsible for design assistance, implementation, and ongoing operational support for Virtual Desktop and End User Computing service offerings. Application administration, implementation, and development for our Office 365 applications, including but not limited to SharePoint, Outlook, OneDrive, MS Teams, and OneNote. Investigate and evaluate software which promises to be useful to the SUNY support community. Support senior management level staff in determining system requirements and capabilities, as well as appropriate hardware and software configurations. Provide direction in the on-going process of support for member campuses. Assist with teaching seminars and conduct workshops as needed through the SUNY Center for Professional Development. Demonstrated experience successfully working in a diverse setting and providing support to a diverse population of end users including faculty, staff, and students.
The VDI-Linux-AD-Windows Administrator is responsible for adhering to ITEC’s security policies and procedures and participate in training. This position requires that the successful candidate be available to work various shifts to assist with providing 24 × 7 support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems or related degree or equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Significant system administration experience with Microsoft Windows Server and/or Linux administration in a professional work environment. Examples include: installation, configuration, patching, monitoring, trending, tuning, performance analysis, and troubleshooting.
- Significant system administration experience with VMware ESXi administration, monitoring of state changes, logging, and performance, and troubleshooting in a professional work environment.
- Ability to leverage scripting languages to help with automation. Examples include Python, Perl, Bash/GNU software, Vmware PowerCLI, PowerShell.
- Technical Support experience in a professional work environment.
- Good presentation skills, interpersonal skills, written and communication skills.
- Available to work various shifts to assist with providing 24 x 7 support.
- Experience working with core Windows services in a professional work environment. Examples include: Active Directory, IIS, Powershell, Event Viewer, Group Policy Objects, Sites and Services, and Indexing services.
- Good working knowledge of various UNIX daemons and services such as web, mail, SSH, and NFS.
- System administration experience with Hyper-V, Xen, Oracle VM, or KVM hypervisors in a professional work environment.
- System administration experience with Azure, AWS, Oracle Cloud, Google Cloud Platform, or other public clouds in a professional work environment.
- System administration experience installing, configuring, and/or managing enterprise networking hardware/software in a professional work environment. Examples include: dns, firewalls, routers, switches, load balancers, security appliances.
- Experience with installing, configuring, and managing VMWare products in a professional work environment. Examples include: Horizon, Workspace One, vRealize Operations Manager, vRealize Log Insight, or vRealize Network Insight.
- Experience with installing, configuring, and managing Dell / EMC products in a professional work environment. Examples include: Open Manage, Dell storage products, Dell blade architecture, EMC NetWorker, EMC RecoverPoint, EMC VxRail.
- Experience with installing, configuring, and managing Oracle Products in a professional work environment. Examples include: Oracle ZFS, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle Linux, or Oracle RDBMS.
- Experience with installing, configuring, and managing Microsoft products in a professional work environment. Examples include: MS365 – SharePoint, Intune, OneNote, or OneDrive, Microsoft Exchange, Windows Desired State Configuration, Microsoft System Center, or Microsoft SQL Server.
- Experience with Identity Management and/or Active Directory federation in a professional work environment.
- Experience with Ansible or other configuration automation software in a professional work environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with ITIL and ITSM frameworks/tools.
- Work experience in an educational setting.
Buffalo State College and the SUNY Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC) offer an excellent and challenging working environment with good fringe benefits. Salary range is $49,165 – $95,000. Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills. This position is open until filled.
Apply on-line at: https://jobs.buffalostate.edu/postings/5248
Buffalo State is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and committed to respect for diversity and individual differences.