Java Application Services Specialist (local title)
Lead Programmer / Analyst (budget title)
SUNY Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC)
Buffalo State College
The Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC) is one of several special purpose organizations established by participating institutions to support multi-campus, computer-related, group activities targeted at improving the quality, quantity, and cost-effectiveness of campus-based and University-wide computer services. In all, ITEC services over 50 campuses.
ITEC is soliciting applications for a Java Application Services Specialist. The following announcement describes the responsibilities and qualifications associated with this position.
This position calls for a Tier 3 support analyst with a strong focus in Web service and Java application server installation, management, performance tuning, security configuration and troubleshooting.
As a Tier 3 support analyst, the ideal candidate will be responsible for installing, upgrading and maintaining Web servers including Apache and Nginx, Java applications servers including WebLogic and Tomcat, and the deployment applications on mainly Linux operating systems hosted both at ITEC and numerous State University of New York (SUNY) campuses throughout New York State. This person will be capable of analyzing and successfully troubleshooting middleware-related web, network, security and Java technical issues and also provide related technical support and guidance to other SUNY campus-based technical analysts.
This person will be expected to assist with the design, development, documentation, implementation and automation of existing and new large-scale complex applications with general direction from higher-level computer professionals. This person will also be capable of reviewing and editing application documentation, user specifications, web and application server resource requirements, and patch/release deployment schedules; and also assist with unit and integration test planning, development and execution under various identity management scenarios as required by ITEC middleware services. Demonstrated experience successfully working in a diverse setting and providing support to a diverse population of end users including faculty, staff, and students.
Successful candidates will be able to prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks independently and is responsible for adhering to ITEC’s security policies and procedures and participate in training. This position requires that the candidate be available to work various shifts to assist with providing 24 × 7 support.
- Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree with a combination of work experience with both a currently supported web server and a Java application server product.
- Application server administration experience with either WebLogic or Tomcat, including patching, upgrading, secure configuration, troubleshooting and performance tuning.
- Programming and scripting experience with Bash and one or more of Perl, PHP, or Python.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, written and communication skills.
- Available to work various shifts to assist with providing 24 × 7 support.
- Experience managing open source or proprietary web application servers including WebLogic, Tomcat, Apache, nginx, Node or JBoss in Linux and Linux-variant environments.
- Experience implementing middleware services including deployment, updates and monitoring.
- Experience with Java, web or mobile development frameworks using configuration management tools including Ant, Maven, Eclipse or JDeveloper.
- Experience with application lifecycle management or containerization using tools like Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, and Chef.
- Experience with source code management tools like Git or Subversion.
- Experience with open source products and productivity tools like Atlassian Confluence, Nagios and ELK.
- Administrative experience with Student Information Systems like Banner, Colleague, PowerCampus or PeopleSoft.
- Administrative experience with Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as ANGEL Learn or Blackboard Learn.
- Experience with X.509 and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) tools like OpenSSL and current web protocols like HTTPS, TLS 1.2 and HTTP/2.
- Experience with authentication frameworks and tools like LDAP, CAS, SAML, OAuth2.0 and OpenID Connect.
- Familiarity with software development and performance testing methodologies including Agile Development and DevOps, and related tools.
- Administrative experience with Microsoft technologies such as Microsoft IIS or Microsoft Azure a plus but not required.
Buffalo State College and the SUNY Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC) offer an excellent and challenging working environment with good fringe benefits. Salary is competitive.
This position is open until filled.
Apply on-line at: https://jobs.buffalostate.edu/postings/5249
Buffalo State is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and committed to respect for diversity and individual differences.