Junior Security Operations Analyst (local title)
SL-2 Programmer / Analyst (budget title)
SUNY Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC)
Buffalo State University
The Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC) is one of several special purpose organizations established by participating institutions to support multi-campus, computer-related, group activities targeted at improving the quality, quantity, and cost-effectiveness of campus-based and University-wide computer services. In all, ITEC services over 50 campuses.
ITEC is soliciting applications for a Junior Security Operations Analyst with an understanding of operating systems, storage, networking, middleware applications, databases, infrastructure, virtualization, and cloud architecture/operations especially from a cyber security perspective.
The following describes the responsibilities and qualifications associated with this position.
Investigate and evaluate software which promises to be useful to the SUNY support community as requested by management.
Responsibilities may include system administration for ITEC managed operating systems and hypervisors (within ITEC data centers, customer data centers, or hyperscaler data centers), system administration for network-based operating systems and coordination/handling of technical support problems for member campuses, monitor, administer and troubleshoot related systems with a focus on cyber security. Troubleshoot the equipment performance and the health of remote and internal campus systems. Assist member campuses with operating system and hypervisor issues and with the planning and implementation of installations, configurations and upgrades with a focus on cybersecurity.
The analyst must adhere to SUNY, Buffalo State University’s, and ITEC policies as well as ITEC’s security policies and procedures and participate in security-oriented training. The analyst is responsible for responding to P1 Incidents (Emergency Incidents) occurring on and off hours in a timely fashion in order for ITEC to meet our service level targets. Analysts must account for work effort performed by documenting in current ITSM tool by completing weekly timesheets.
All of the responsibilities and tasks assigned by the management of ITEC are expected to be carried out in an independent and timely manner primarily during business hours and as needed outside business hours. It is the responsibility of the employee to notify the supervisor when any problems or concerns arise in carrying out tasks assigned to the employee.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems or related degree or equivalent work experience in a related field
2. Good presentation skills, interpersonal skills, written and communication skills
3. Experience with System administration, monitoring, trending, troubleshooting, and related technologies
4. Technical Support experience
5. Available to work various shifts to assist with providing 24 x 7 support
1. Experience in technical support
2. Ability and Experience implementing additional security layers within the IT infrastructure
3. Experience managing and deploying operating systems
4. Knowledge of TCP/IP networking & related products
5. Experience managing and deploying enterprise networks (firewall, routers, switches, ACL’s)
6. Experience managing Wide Area Networks and/or BGP
7. Ability to leverage scripting languages to help with automation. Examples include Python, Perl, Bash/GNU software, Vmware PowerCLI, PowerShell
8. Experience with Identity Management and/or Active Directory federation in a professional work environment
9. System administration experience with UNIX (including Linux, Solaris, AIX, or HP-UX) and Windows
10. Working knowledge of various UNIX daemons and services such as web, mail, SSH, and NFS
11. Working knowledge of core Windows services (IIS, AD, Powershell, and Indexing services)
12. System administration experience with ESX, Hyper-V, Xen, Oracle VM, or KVM hypervisors
13. Experience with Dell Open Manage, Data Domain, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Dell storage products, Dell blade architecture, Oracle ZFS, Tivoli Storage Manager, Microsoft Exchange, Windows Desired State Configuration, Microsoft System Center, Microsoft SQL Server, and Microsoft Sharepoint
14. Application administration, implementation, and development for our Microsoft 365 applications, including but not limited to SharePoint, Outlook, OneDrive, MS Teams, and OneNote
15. Mobile Device Management. Examples include MS Intune, MS Config Manager (previously SCCM), or Jamf Pro administration
16. Database software installation, administration, and tuning experience with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres, or other relational databases and related technologies, such as Oracle Kev Vault, Transparent Data Encryption, or Golden Gate
17. Middleware software installation, administration, and tuning experience with Oracle Weblogic or Tomcat
18. knowledge of physical-layer connections (SFP’s, Fiber Optic cable and related connections) and protocols (Fiber Channel, iSCSI, NFS and CIFS)
19. Work experience in an educational setting
20. Experience with installing, configuring, and managing VMWare products in a professional work environment. Examples include: Horizon, Workspace One, vRealize Operations Manager, vRealize Log Insight, or vRealize Network Insight
21. Automation experience using cloud native services, scripting, ansible, puppet, or chef
22. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with ITIL and ITSM/ITOM frameworks/tools
23. Security-focused training and experience with operating within a security program
24. Experience and training relating to AWS, GCP, Azure, Oracle, and/or other cloud provider infrastructure
25. Experience implementing and/or managing backups.
Buffalo State University and the SUNY Information Technology Exchange Center (ITEC) offer an excellent and challenging working environment with good fringe benefits. Salary range is $44,374 – $85,493. Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills. This position is open until filled. More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
Buffalo State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and committed to respect for diversity and individual differences.
Apply on-line at: https://jobs.buffalostate.edu/postings/7045